“Awake My Soul!” – Mumford and Sons
“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Back in 2009, I was dissatisfied with my career, relationships, and life… I was hungry for something more but didn’t know what I was looking for. I started reading books on finding your purpose and discovering your passions. I learned “new” words like Universe, Energy, and Law of Attraction. I became obsessed with books about spirituality and the mysteries of the Universe.
I didn’t realize it then but I was having a spiritual awakening.
As exciting as that might sound, it was also very confusing time for me. I had been raised in a Christian home and church so I was taught that my spiritual nutrients should come from the Bible only. My new spiritual curiosity kinda frightened me. I felt a strange mixture of guilt and excitement. I also felt very isolated in my new quest for understanding my experiences and new knowledge.
Many of my clients come to me in that same place of dissatisfaction and hunger. Their interests and beliefs have slowly started to shift from what they’ve always known and are moving into unfamiliar territory.
What I tell them is this…
They are in the beginning stages of having a spiritual awakening.
What is a Spiritual Awakening?
Here’s my definition… It’s when you start questioning what you thought you knew about how the Universe works…When you begin to realize that the mystery of The Universe/God/Source is more vast and infinite than you ever imagined. It means you start opening up to the possibility that things/life/people are not just good or bad, or right or wrong.
However, if you didn’t know what was happening to you, you might judge or shame yourself into thinking something was intrinsically wrong… that you were bad… the devil was confusing you… or that you were getting off track spiritually.
Any of this sound familiar??
If so, here are 10 Signs You Are Having a Spiritual Awakening And Might Not Know It!
- You feel restless and anxious like time is running out… you just “know” there’s more to your life than you’re living and you need to get to it!
- Meaningless conversations and activities don’t interest you anymore. You feel like you’re not fitting in with your job and relationships. The same conversations, jokes, topics just don’t feel funny or interesting anymore…
- An overwhelming urge to learn something about spirituality and creativity.
- The desire to move or travel or learn about new cultures…
- You have a blank space on what’s next in your life. You use to have a vision for things but all the sudden it feels unknown and uncertain.
- You begin to see repetitive numbers like 444, 55, 1111, 22, or the same number over and over. (These are nature’s symbols. Numbers are how nature expresses itself. Music is the universal language and music is based on numbers. Superstition is fear based, whereas synchronicity is a sign of alignment.)
- You become a truth seeker – seek out experiences to discover your own truth, not based on someone else’s.
- Your old ways of soothing and coping with stress or negative emotions aren’t working anymore…you often feel like you’re unraveling.
- Dreams more vivid and easier to remember.
- The desire to purge your “stuff”, emotionally and physically. You feel ready to shed old structures and constructs. You want to lighten up and expand.
Waking up or becoming more conscious in your life doesn’t mean you have to do spiritual work for a living or radically change your life. It doesn’t mean you have to hike the Himalayas or meditate with monks and gurus. And it doesn’t mean you don’t love Jesus anymore either! It just means you’re ready to experience a deeper, richer, and more soul-satisfying way of living.
I encourage you to drop the fear and wade into the proverbial water. Trust that the current will take you where you need to go.
Want to learn more about how your soul speaks?
Need help navigating your spiritual journey?
Let’s work together! xo